Ribomustin launched in Algeria
Algiers, Algeria, October 1, 2015: During the 12th annual meeting of the Algerian society of haematology and blood transfusion, Astellas Pharma Middle East, North and Sub-Saharan Africa (MENA/SSA) has introduced Bendamustine in Algeria for the treatment of Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia (CLL) and Indolent Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (INHL).
In 2012 the incidence of Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (NHL) in Algeria accounted for 1,442.1 Based on global data, out of these patients an estimated average of 35% suffer from iNHL.2 On average over 200 patients per year are diagnosed with CCL in Algeria.3 Both CLL and iNHL are cancers that typically afflict elderly patients, and incidence increases with age.1-3
Bendamustine’s availability in the Algerian market will give oncology and haematology healthcare professionals the option of treating patients with a medicine that has a favourable toxicity profile, including the rare incidence of alopecia, along with a good Progression-Free Survival (PFS) benefit.4-8
Speaking at Astellas’ media roundtable, Professor Nadia Boudjerra, Head of the Haematology Department at the University Hospital in Beni Messous, Algeria commented: “The unmet need associated with the NHL is the lack of curative therapy, especially in certain types of so-called aggressive lymphomas. The estimated number of people who die each year due to this disease in our country is 50%. Once patients are on treatment, the goal is to control the disease and get a favorable response appropriate to maintain as long as possible. In some types of lymphoma , existing treatments on the market are insufficient to increase patient survival and improve their quality of life. Now, with the availability of bendamustine in Algeria, our patients will benefit from access to more effective therapy which will allow a greater survival.
Professor Ait Ali Hocine, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Mouloud Mammeri University of Tizi-Ouzou, and Head of the Haematology Department at the University Hospital in Tizi-Ouzou, Algeria concluded: “There are in an estimated number of 600 people who die each year in Algeria of leukemia. In the case of the LLC , one of the biggest challenges is access to effective and well tolerated therapies for patients with co morbidities, whose health does not allow them to follow intensive treatments. For patients unable to tolerate, with Bendamustine we now have another frontline potential treatment option for both fit older patients and for less fit patients.”
Bendamustine is administered by injection, dissolved in a sterile sodium chloride (salt) solution. The treatment is delivered intravenously to the patient for a period of thirty to sixty minutes in various dosages.9*
Mr. Khaled Djouamai, Area Manager, Astellas Pharma Maghreb, said: “We’re delighted to be launching Bendamustine in Algeria. Astellas is committed to establish itself as a leader in oncology globally, and we are committed to delivering treatment solutions that will improve the lives of chronic lymphatic leukaemia (CLL) and indolent Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (iNHL) patients in the Middle East and North-Africa. Both CLL and iNHL cause considerable suffering for patients and their families, and as a leading international research-driven pharmaceutical company we’re pleased to work with Algeria’s physicians in combating these diseases.”
– ENDS –
- GLOBOCAN 2012: Estimated Cancer Incidence and Prevalence Worldwide in 2012: Algeria
- NCI. SEER Survival Monograph. Chapter 28, 235-42 http://seer.cancer.gov/publications/survival/surv_nonhodgkin.pdf. Accessed Sept 2015
- Ait-Ali H. et al. Approche epidemiologique de la leucemie lymphoide chronique (llc) en Algerie, poster presented at ix congres national d’hematologie et transfusion sanguine
- Dewilde S. Et al Journal of Medical Economics 2014, 1-14
- Becker M et al Ann. Haematology 2015
- Cheson B et al. Clinical Lymphoma, Myeloma & Leukemia 2010;10(No.6): 452-457
- Rummel M, et al. Bendamustine plus rituximab versus CHOP plus rituximab as first-line treatment in patients with indolent and mantle cell lymphomas: 7-year updated results from the StiL NHL1 study ASH 2014:4407
- Knauf W et al. J Clin Oncol 2009;27(26):4378-4384
- Ribomustin™ Summary of Product Characteristics, Astellas Pharma International, available from Heads of Medicines Agencies: http://mri.medagencies.org/Human/Product/Details/16903
For further and detailed information, please refer to Bendamustine prescribing information.